Following is the communiqué issued by the Advisory Commission on Foreign Affairs, following the meeting held this Tuesday at the Casa de Nariño, read by former minister Camilo Reyes:
“The Advisory Commission on Foreign Affairs analyzed the situation faced in the border with Venezuela and wishes to inform the public opinion that:
1. It believes that the Government’s policy regarding this problem has been correct, serene and prudent, and believes that it should remain that way.
2. The Advisory Commission on Foreign Affairs supports the humanitarian measures implemented by the National Government to assist the fellow citizens affected by the actions adopted by Venezuela. And it emphasizes on the importance of respecting all international treaties on the matter, particularly those that protect children’s rights.
3. It reiterates the importance of cooperating in the fight against any form of illegality in the border zone.
4. It calls upon the Venezuelan Government to activate the agreed mechanisms proposed several months ago to handle this kind of situations.
5. The Advisory Commission understand the circumstances that Venezuela is facing, but firmly demands respect for the international treaties for the protection of the civilian population”.